Thursday, July 19, 2007

Cool subway experience

So I got on the semi-crowded subway this morning, the free "AM New York" paper in my hand. Many people were standing and holding poles - no seats today. But then a man nearby moved his bag that was taking up a seat to let me sit down - very nice. He looked like a subway (MTA) official. I sat down next to him and paid him no attention and read my paper. BTW, read about the blast in Midtown yesterday which scared a lot of people apparently - it was just a steam pipe explosion though... After a few stops, the guy turned and asked "Do you speak Spanish?". Mind you he was a black man and he spoke with no accent - it didn't seem like he actually spoke Spanish himself. So I was puzzled as to why he was asking me. I said "a little", and looked at him quizzically. He said "Where are you from?". I said "The West". He apparently thought I was from South America with my curly hair, and today I happened to be wearing a green skirt with lots of brown swirls and dots and weird patterns. So I don't know if the skirt contributed, but I was flattered :-). I said that no, I was from Arizona., but it was cool he thought I was South American. Then I got off on the next stop :-). But wow - add that to my Kung Fu buddy asking me if I was part black, and I get mistaken for everything but what I really am - German! Fun times. Maybe that means I will be accepted in any part of the world - here's hoping!

No comments: