Thursday, September 6, 2007

Never a dull moment

Ok seriously. I'm finally getting what you all say about me being so busy. I love it - I really do. But I'm running myself ragged a bit :-). I realized today I haven't been home in the evening since last Wednesday. And even then I'll be home in the evening only 3 days between Aug 24 - Sept 9 - over 2 weeks. I guess I am adventurous, eh?!

So to update, and not a humongous update this time: Tuesday and Wednesday. Back to work Tuesday and it was lonely because my labmate Emina went home. Sad, but ok - theoretically I'll get more done, right?! So worked, then left at 5:15 to join the IBM hiking club on their routine Tuesday night hikes. I hadn't gone before because of Naveen, but wanted to try it. Well, it was the wrong time to start. Apparently the longer, more interesting hikes were in the middle of the summer when the sun goes down later. So we drove until about 6:30 to get to the site. Did a very slow, easy hike with minimal hills for an hour. Don't get me wrong - it was pretty and naturey and we saw some neat views over green hills, and hiked through a forest. However, it didn't particularly qualify as exercise to me. Then I got bullied into going to pizza after - which I didn't want to do because 1) it's unhealthy 2) it costs $$, and 3) I'd get back to the city late based on the trains. But I went because it was part of the hiking experience and because I had to go with my ride. The pizza was pretty good - I've gotten into the habit of putting a lot of red pepper on my pizza :-). Then got a ride to the White Plains train station, but just missed a train so I had to wait 40-45 minutes until the next one came. That was ok because I had a wonderful phone conversation catching up with Negin :-). But I took the 10pm train back to Manhattan. I was a little nervous about walking through Harlem at this time of night, so I went to Grand Central and took 2 subways to get home instead. So got 1 hour of hiking between leaving from work at 5:15 and getting home around 11pm. Not the best use of time...

So Wednesday I worked from home. Actually got up and went to Central Park to wait in line for Shakespeare in the park tickets! It's crazy the system for this. You have to get in line for FREE tickets. They give out tickets at 1pm for the 8pm showing everyday. And this thing is popular and legendary because famous actors sometimes do this, or actors became known through this. So anyway, I got there a little before 9:30 to wait in line for 3.5 hours for free tickets. That's just the way this works! People sit there on blankets and read and eat for the morning. So I read work papers. And the line has rules - you can leave to go to the bathroom or go to a hotdog vendor close, but you can't leave for more than 20 minutes. So - because I'm me - I exploit the system. I wanted to work out, so I left for 20 minutes and ran around Central Park. Then I came back for awhile, then left again for another 20 minutes and ran around the Reservoir. It was a beautiful day and I was glad to be exercising and out and about. And I was really proud of myself that I ran around the Reservoir in 14-15 minutes! It was really funny - I took my cell phone with me while running and checked the time constantly to make sure I was back in 20 minutes. But it was fun! That's me - fitting it all in :-). So finally the line started moving and we got tickets! Shan Shan and her guy came with too, so we got 3 seats together to see the play! Then they invited me to go out to Indian food for lunch and I went despite my running attire. It was fun to hang out with them :-). Got some crazy news - Shan Shan is engaged! They are crazy kids. So this is hilarious - Her guy is from the Netherlands. They met at conferences and have been chatting online daily since February. He alwasy liked her. So they met at a conference in Berlin for 2 days last month. Then he decided to visit her now for 3 weeks. So they've actually been together in the same place and been dating all of 6 days, and they got engaged :-). Ah, romance. Happy for them, though.

So I digress... On way home from lunch I stopped to pick up perscriptions to find that my new student health insurance company is f***ing stupid and annoying - they seem to not be able to process perscrips from any pharmacy. Like I'm covered, but they only accept UT's student health center as a place that can actually put my insurance through their system so I can get perscrips. Aack! Hate health insurance inefficiencies and regulations. Anyway...

So - to "Free Love"! That's the Shakespeare in the Park slogan this year because they showed Romeo and Juliet and Midsummer Night's Dream. I saw the latter last night. I wore one of my new dresses I bought last week and felt beautiful :-). And went down there. It was a slightly chilly night - I want summer nights to continue! The stage was actually really cool - they had a tree there that people climbed and all. And the play was really well acted - I got caught up in it. It was really funny! The actors in the internal play were awesome. And of course the 4 star-crossed lovers. The fairies were good too. Awesome story. Very pleasurable to watch. Have to say - it might've been my favorite Shakespeare play this summer. And they have some neat costumes, great coreography, and they even sang some! So very fun performance. Glad I got to see this New York tradition! Went home via a Tasty D'Lite ice cream store, but it was closed sadly. So I had to stop at McDonalds to get a soft serve because I really wanted ice cream :-).

So now - another day at work! And I'm going home tonight and staying there (after exercise). I'm getting ready for good friends Christine and Jeff to visit for the next couple of days so I have to clean. But I'm so excited for their visit! And more US Open tomorrow! I get to see Henin and Venus Williams play in the semis - rock on.

A couple of random tidbits... I found a carpool but I'm still looking for new housing for the rest of the fall. Also what I meant by my ramblings in the last post is that I feel like I really can accomplish anything and that makes me happy. And last thing - this city really is starting to feel familiar! It's weird that way - certain areas I do know well and I smile as if they are "mine". I hate Time Square really, but love the villages and union square. And 9th Ave between 41st and 55th really does have a ton of awesome restaurants! So yay for familiarity.

Ok signing off... :-).

2 comments:

Nick Jong said...

Yeah, Shakespeare in the Park is one of those things I regret not making time for. I'm glad you did. :-)

67SS said...

doood...so whats happining with navene???