Saturday, September 1, 2007

New adventures in NYC

So Tuesday night was hard, but it's gotten easier. I really think us being long distance helps because I am used to being alone and being independent and filling my time. So I'm trying to focus on that, and on the future.

So I did go swimming Tuesday night and that was great. I ended up swimming 32 laps! Met my goal of swimming a mile (and then some)! It was exhausting but really rewarding. Was proud of myself. Glad I was able to take advantage of the pool and do some swimming in the park this summer!

Then I road around the park on my bike Wednesday evening - did my 10 mile bike! I do love riding around the park - it's very pretty. And I did laundry that night - very exciting. But was feeling up and more confident.

So Thursday the office shut early - they are shutting down the whole building and networks and everything for the 4 day weekend ( we got Friday off!). So although it was sad to see Shan Shan and Emina at IBM for the last time, it was nice to leave early. I went to a fun dance thing in Central Park that was fun - learning to Disco dance! There were good dancers as our teachers, and a neat DJ. Danced to Stayin Alive. I got a big grin on my face when "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" came on :-). I mostly danced with some older black women - trying to get down the quick-quick, slow-slow pattern (back right, front left, front right, front left). I kept wanting to do jitterbug instead. But got a few fun male partners that were neat to dance with - made me happy to dance and just hang out. The guys were very turny - sometimes I had a hard time keeping up. But yeah - people watching and chatting with the older black ladies was fun :-). So good adventures in NYC. And then I actually rode my bike over to the east side to check out a possible place to live for the fall! It was interesting - a place in "Dormandy Court" where everyone is fresh out of college. I actually felt a little old and mature compared to that place! The apartment was cute, apartment with 2 other 24 year old girls. Was ok, but not sure it's the area I want to move to.... So will keep looking, but it's exciting that I might get to know a new neighborhood in Manhattan!

So my off day - Friday! Went down to farmers market in front of my house which was fun. Love the fresh stuff! Made me a little sad - thinking of Naveen going all these weeks for us. But then I went to Central Park to take advantage of pool for the last time before it closes on Labor Day! Did only 20 laps this time - it was getting hard and I think I need a bit of a break from swimming for awhile! But glad to get the exercise... Then went downtown to meet Shan Shan and Emina for lunch - ate at a cute French place. Love those girls - we have fun conversations about the stress of Comp Sci, having kids, living in the city, boys, everything! We get along great :-). I feel lucky to have made good friends up here, but know it'll be sad to go to work next week and have them not be there... Then walked downtown and went shopping! Went to a place with discount designer clothes - Loehmans. That was really fun! Bought a new purse because the girls convinced me I need a bigger one to hold an umbrella, camera, everything as things don't all fit in my current purse. Then bought some cute shoes - black flats sorta like ballet shoes! Then found 2 dresses (1 green, 1 black and white) I liked and 1 wool skirt (brown)! Was really excited to find these things and fun to shop with the girls. Really good day. And some good prices :-). We met up with Emina's fiance and walked around a bit, then we met up with some of Emina's friends later for dinner. Had a nice dinner at a cute little place. Then went to a bar. Actually invited another friend of mine from the city - that guy that gave me a ride home from softball who also works at IBM but is finishing law school. So it was good to see him again and have another Manhattan friend. Nice to sorta get to know him, and also have Rishi's number - Emina's good friend from college. So went out drinking for awhile and had a good night on the town! Drank a little too much, unfortunately, but made it home ok :-).

So have some fun plans for the rest of the holiday weekend - going on a bike ride now down the river. Going to check out another possible place to live. Tomorrow I'm meeting Shan Shan for Dim Sum again - in Chinatown. Then think I'll head to Coney Island to check it out! Unfortunately Shan Shan can't come because she has to go back to Boston because of a death in the family :-(. Then the softball friend - Mohammed - said he has tickets for the US Open on Monday, so I guess I get to go twice - really looking forward to it!

Happy Labor DAy weekend everyone! Have fun. I'm blessed with wonderful family and friends!

1 comment:

67SS said...

you must be a really good swimmer to swim a mile. i couldnt do that to save my life/