Thursday, September 27, 2007

This city is MINE!

So I know I'm up and down, but I have to say - I love this city. Yes, it is impersonal, and yes everything is crazy and it is excessive with stimuli. But really - it's awesome too. People really know how to deal with people - they aren't rude, they just have to deal with tons of people being packing in a tiny island. And yes they are always rushed, in a hurry - slightly frenzied, so they get a bit mad when you get in their way. But otherwise, they are pretty considerate :-).

But the real reason I love this city is that I can come home by subway at 10:15 pm - travel 6 miles for $2 pretty quickly while reading my Harry Potter book (I saw several subwayers reading it when it came out!) and there are people all over - tons of people walking the streets, on the subway. 10pm is hardly anything here - not late! Love that anything is possible - that you can have any schedule you want. That my new neighborhood ROCKS! So yes, my street is the home of the gay and transvestite crew, but my neighborhood rocks! West Village - oh yeah. I walked up Hudson tonight with my new keys in hand and passed 15 restaurants and bars in like 1 minute - of all different kinds. You can just head out your front door and be minutes from anything - a post office, wonderful bakeries (I'm close to Magnolia Cafe and it's cupcakes - deadly!), a grocery store, a laundromat, tons of good restaurants. So exciting! Love it. Love that this city is awake late like me. It has so much to offer - and it's fun to just have everything. Sure it's given to its excesses, but it's exciting :-).

I've been having fun this week. Besides working hard and cleaning and packing hard every night this week (my apartment looks amazing - feels good to get that done altho tiring), I went out with friends twice. Love friends! Went out with Sharon from my building - she was an intern this summer, but now she is back at Princeton. We finally got to go to sushi together! It was so fun - we talked about boys. Mostly she talked - she's been going on a lot of dates lately, and wants to know why the guy who she has fabulous dates with never actually calls! She's fun. And the sushi was yummy of course. I was just excited to have a "girl's night" so to speak. Neat to connect again - will try to keep up with her, though I am moving!

Tonight went out with Mohammed down by his school again. I love how we can choose a different restaurant every Thursday night within a small radius from his school - so much to choose from. Today we went to a Malaysian/French Cafe - bizarre, but so tasty! I got this Homemade Acar - mixed pickle with tons of veggies. Yum :-). Had to. Then a wonderful chicken curry - Rendang Chicken. So curry spicy and yummy! Love food here. And had a nice chat with Mohammed - I decided I need to stop having an agenda. I'm so exhausted because I am too planny - have too many expectations. I need to mellow out and go with the flow - it'd be so less fretful. I really want to just enjoy life and not worry about the future so much. It's my new "plan" - like the if you decide you are in a good mood, then you have a good day! Good to have a good outlook. Try not to focus on the negatives of being in research for example :-).

Anyway - fun times. And Mom's here tomorrow - can't wait! Happy weekend.

2 comments:

Nick Jong said...

I used to be too planny, too. Once upon a time, I had a regular activity planned for maybe four or five of the days of the week. It was too much. Now maybe I've gone too far in the opposite direction, so I suppose I'm trying to find the happy middle ground.

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If he will be possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).