Friday, June 22, 2007

First Impressions

I made it to Manhattan! Now I'm officially a resident :-). Yippee!

So it was a bit frustrating getting here - my flight was 3 hours late leaving from Chicago, then we were in the air for an extra hour in a holding pattern above New York because of a storm rolling in! We finally landed, and I lugged all my luggage to the cab. I couldn't open my eyes wide enough as my eyes glued themselves to the window. It was great to see Manhattan from afar, then go over the bridge and drive through it, even if it was raining. We drove through Central Park! Then a friend in the building met me to give me the 2 minute tour and my keys. The apartment is beautiful - just like in the pictures! Wood floors, nice couch, 2 TVs, big bedroom, a/c, nice view of the park and even a bridge in the distance. We got it all :-). Yes, the kitchen is tiny, but it's all good. The building is pretty plain and they are doing construction around the front of the building and in the lobby so it's not terribly exciting. But the apartment is great.

So after I got a little settled, I set out (around 9:30 finally) to get dinner - I was starved! I walked to a big, safe, well-lit street (Broadway). And I walked up and down Broadway for awhile - fabulous! It's nice that so many people are out at any time of day, and there's a beat to the city. But you are right, Aunt Carolyn - it's a lot smellier than Chicago and less clean. Smells alone are crazy. And I've found it's good to put on an aura of toughness and a bit of skepticism. Maybe that's my natural reaction to a new place anyway :-). But people are pretty nice. I stopped in at a little counter place and ordered a gyro - pretty good, but not the best. But I was really glad to eat. I have a feeling I should've stopped at one of the dozen pizza places instead - they advertised "hot and crusty". But tons of restaurants of all kinds of food were open (even if shops weren't). It was fun just to walk the beat and stare at things. And God, can a person eat healthy here? Every other place sells pastries or ice cream or bagels or pizza or something! Crazy! And I love that flower shops and little markets exist with their produce enticing you just sitting out in front! On the way home I stopped at one to get some fruit and cereal for breakfast - very fun. And I found a lot of grocery stores I can go to. Otherwise I just walked a lot: 97 up to 113 (close to Columbia), then down all the way to 85 then back to 97 again. And Subways and Starbucks are mighty plentiful! By the way - I think I might've walked by the Seinfield Restaurant - it looked mighty familiar anyway :-).

So I'm back in my place, finally having figured out the internet (nice they didn't tell me the name of the network). And I'm totally excited to be here still! My plan is to run tomorrow in Central Park - wish me luck! Then more exploring and the like... So much to see and walk here! Maybe someday I'll feel like I know the place, or a part of it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I'm glad to hear that you and Manhattan have gotten off on the right foot. And you have so much more to explore. I predict that by the end of the summer you'll know the subway system inside and out. :-)

Jenn said...

Thanks Nick - I'm getting the hang of the subway for sure - I've done the red and orange lines so far - they are so useful!