Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Pre-Manhattan

This is a new blog for me dedicated to my life adventures. We'll start with my Summer 2007 adventures while living in Manhattan. But as I'm not there quite yet, this is my pre-Manhattan post :-).

I'm so excited to leave for Manhattan! I've been living out of suitcases for 3 weeks so unpacking will just be lovely. I was in Jamaica for a week at The Rockhouse for my brother's wedding. First - the Rockhouse was awesome! It was so beautiful and relaxing with cliff jumping, snorkeling, and beautiful clear ocean water to experience daily. I loved it. And of course there was wonderful food including lots of fish, conch (like snail), calaloo (cooked green vegies), and jerk chicken of course :-). And we especially liked the tropical rum drinks with real fruit blended in - papaya, and coconut - yum pina colada! Since I had just gotten scuba certified, of course Naveen and I had to try out the Jamaican waters and boy was it beautiful! Saw tons of fish of all colors and rays and crabs and the like. A very easy first experience :-). Otherwise we enjoyed the wonderful company of Toni and Matt's family and friends - what a treat (especially with the cousins)! The wedding itself was magical, even with the rain. Toni and Matt were beautiful dressed and the ceremony with lots of expressed love made me cry! I was so happy to be a part of it and read a poem which went well. And Naveen and I got to sit at the big kids table (although Toni said it was definitely the kids table) with Matt and Toni which was an honor. And of course we partied Jamaica-style with lots of "No worries" and rum and dancing. So fun! And Matt and Toni seemed so happy and in love - a great wedding.

Then Naveen and I whisked away to chilly San Diego which was slightly less relaxing than "No Problem Mon" Jamaica. We went to our conference there and tried to stay warm in the 60 degree weather :-). But the conference, although tiring, went very well and we did a lot of good networking with important computer scientists.

Friday June 15th I flew back to homebase Austin (ah, I love Austin). I had my whirlwind 2 days (less than 40 hours) there visiting with people, mailing myself boxes, and repacking. Then I flew to Chicago on June 17th. I know, I know - it's even hard for ME to keep track of where I am! I counted - I'm sleeping in 9 different beds this month (and repacking my suitcase with each change!). Also I'm going on as many different legs of plane flights in just 3 weeks! But Chicago - I met Naveen and we drove to his family's to celebrate Father's Day leisurely with them. They were excited to see my Jamaica pictures. Then Monday hung out with nephew Michael (9 years old) until we had to drive into the city to meet friends for a fabulous dinner. We are staying with Aunt Carolyn in the city for a couple of nights - including one with a gourmet meal cooked by Aunt Carolyn. One more night with Naveen's parents, then Thursday I am officially flying to Manhattan and can call myself a resident!! I'm nervous and excited and I want to jump out of my skin with anticipation :-).

So, I will post more when I get to Manhattan - first impressions and how wonderful my 1 bedroom apartment is. Stay tuned for more of Jenn's adventures!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another interesting descriptive on your life in the big city! sorry to hear about all the rain there and all the havoc it created....think it is raining everywhere -- expecially in Austin! and even here in Brookings (and I left my raincoat in the car...) but seems you like being in the rain.....

And it seems that everyone there is way into the social life scene.....parties and get togethers and going out ALL THE TIME! Makes me kind of tired.......But you are meeting all kinds of people, different ethnicities and all...should make for interesting interactions.

Yippee that Naveen is coming tomorrow.....hope he enjoys that 'scene' as much as you are!

Later, Mom