Sunday, July 1, 2007

Finally home

Had a good weekend - more low key than previously :-). We did end up going out and meeting up with my friends at a club in midtown - it was really fun! The DJ played great hip hop music, and we had some fun drinks - I enjoyed a B52. My friends were fun - Naveen got to meet a bunch of people from IBM. But wow, were the Europeans (after being influenced by the crazy CMU guy) totally crazy and really drunk! How weird... But we danced and generally had fun - took the subway home at 2am and felt very safe!

So another sleep in day - I needed it after this week! Someone was going to come fix our leaking sink from 10-11, and they didn't get here until 3pm - bummer! But we got settled in - did more unpacking and organizing and it was really nice to feel more settled in. After the fix-it man came, we went for a nice run in Central Park! I love that place - it feels so alive to me. We passed some beautiful fountains, a concert, hoola-hoopers and of course other exercisers, people chillin in the lawn, and kids playing. We went the RIGHT way this time, and actually found the 4 mile loop which was nice. Running feels good (when my knee isn't hurting) and I'm proud of myself for feeling I could go even farther!

So this evening we went out to find dinner - we happened upon a Turkish restaurant we had seen before - called Turkuaz at 100th and Broadway. The reason I'm giving you the info is that I'd highly recommend it!! We loved it - it hit the spot. I've been wanting Middle Eastern food, and I definitely got my eggplant kick fulfilled (I've been loving eggplant lately). But this place was awesome - had great atmosphere - Turkish rugs, antique-looking lanterns, and clothe was draped everywhere so we felt like we were in a tent. We got some wonderful dishes - zucchini pancakes, a cold eggplant and peppers and garlic and tomatoes fried concoction, yummy bread, and a lamb specialty with okra for our meal. Plus I got pomegranate juice, and we got authentic baklava and real Turkish coffee for dessert (which apparently you can't drink without a little bit of sugar at least! - strong stuff). Everything was divine, and brought to our table very fast and promptly. The second we finished anything, they took the plate from the table, and were very on top of maintaining our table and refilling water. The wait staff was all very personal and nice. Just a great night out! Very satisfying :-).

So we walked around a bit on the way home, and stopped by the grocery store! Very exciting to actually stock up on some food, and be prepared for the week. Now we actually feel like we live here :-). Things are getting more normal and routine, and as Naveen says - we have some time here, and I don't have to worry about missing out on things because we will always do things we enjoy. So settling in feels great :-). I really feel like our apartment is home, or will be for awhile! Now - to get ready for Monday and another day at IBM...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So glad that you two are settling in! Wish I was there when you went out dancing. I'd like to request more ponderings please. :) Daria says to tell Naveen hey! Big hugs to you both. Oh and if you haven't heard, it has been flooding down in Texas for a week or two now. I keep expecting to see the Ark pull up in my driveway.