Friday, November 16, 2007

I like Purple Carrots

Yes, mighty tasty. Purple cauliflower is about the same as normal.

So I've cooked at home 3 days this week! Ok, ok, aided by Whole Foods each time :-). Love that place. Went Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights. It's amazing what you can do with time and boredom. Need a bit of motivation too. I have so much time up here - wish I had friends here to go out with! I think I've become a real New Yorker because I don't want to do anything anymore. Maybe it's the chilly weather, but I sorta just want to whole in at home and relax. Don't care about discovering new restaurants or adventuring or seeing everything I hear about. I'm ready to go home.

But back to cooking - had some good salads (despite the fact our little fridge is too cold and eveyrhting has ice on it). Wednesday I cooked brussel sprouts! I was very proud of myself - my "trying new vegetables" campaign. Even found out the stove works :-). But Mom - don't understand why you don't like them - they are pretty good. :-). Wednesday I got some stuffed chicken (with apples and fontina) and a ring of squash to go with them. Pretty good. And Thursday I got some awesome pizza at Whole Foods and chowed that down - got "Black and White" which had olive tapenade and mozzarella with tomatoes too. And a slice of Mediterranean vegie with tomatoes, artichockes and lots of colorful olives. Fun :-). Also got a gingerbread cookie for dessert - yum. And been enjoying Starbucks gingerbread lattes :-). Everything pumpkin and gingerbread - can't go wrong. Tuesday I sort of invited myself to get dinner with my mentor because he gave me a ride to the train station. Got some pumpkin soup and a salad. Again yum. The cold really justifies things like soup and boots and scarves and hats which we have down south, but I never really took advantage of. So yeah - good week. And there's been some problem with my Netflix this week, but I discovered streaming TV on ABC's website so that's fun :-). At work I've been getting into possible new projects - they are pretty exciting. Some are a little wacky even :-). Enticing.

Had some coffee cake this morning for breakfast - also from Whole Foods. I've been craving my Mom's - this was actually pretty close. Then I braved the cold with my many layers to go on a bike ride again! It was sunny, but in the low 40s and the problem was really the WIND! Wind sucks, let me tell you. I didn't experience it the whole ride, but when I did, it sucked. Once I really thought it was pushing me so much that my bike wasn't making forward progress! But it was :-). Went up to the park again - this time trying different streets - up 8th Ave and down 7th. I'd say don't ever go down 7th btw - it includes Time Square which is very slow to move through. But anyway - braved the streets - I get better manuevering around cars and cabs every time. And went to the park - beautiful! Love that place. And now it's way more colorful and leaves were actually falling all over too - very pretty. Saw some awesome reds and yellows. So calming. And passed all my favorite spots - went over to look at my stone bridge, too. Even though it's hilly, that is just one of my favorite things - riding around that park. It's the best :-). And I kept toasty - even was over-warm sometimes, but better that than the alternative.

Another thing I'm really going to miss is the Empire State Building. I don't really know why - maybe it's all the movies I've watched about it. The statue has more symbolism, but I just love randomly gazing up into the sky and catching a glimpse of the tall building. I look at it everyday from the highway we drive to go to work. Every night I check what color it is lit up with. My favorite was purple-green-yellow :-). And I love that I can walk 100 feet down to 5th Ave and peek up at it. It's reassuring somehow - watching over me. Even though you can't see it from everywhere, you pass a certain street, and you can see it again. Lovely :-).

So, another weekend in the city... Sigh. It's less inviting now. I had a good lunch at "Chat n' Chew" on my street - very cute place. Had butternut squash soup and fish tacos - yum. And have a "free pass" to get into a cool club for a show tonight - thanks to Naveen's friend of friend. I'm seeing Ingrid Michaelson even though I don't know her. :-). Should be fun. And I want to go see Avenue Q this weekend, although the damn stage hands are striking, so that might be out. We'll see. But I can't wait until Tuesday - I wing to the bay for Thanksgiving with family - yay!! Stoked :-). Happy weekend all...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So about brussel sprouts.... they're okay if you put teriyaki or spices (LOTS) on them to camouflage flavor .....and I will make you coffee cake any time you come out and visit me!

Anonymous said...

So about brussel sprouts.... they're okay if you put teriyaki or spices (LOTS) on them to give them a camouflaged flavor.......and I will make you coffee cake any time you come out and visit me!